When you receive a bill from a provider or facility you visited outside the SHS, these are the steps to follow:
- Do not ignore it.
- Is it a bill, or is it a statement of charges sent to your insurance company? If it is a statement
of charges sent to your insurance, note when it was sent so that you can be aware of possible problems
(i.e., if it was more than 45 days, you should contact the company).
- Does the provider have your insurance information? Usually there is a space on the back to
provide this information or a number you can call for clarification.
- If you have the Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna), and you have questions about a claim
or denial, call the Customer Service number, 1-877-409-7366. Be sure to get the name of the
representative who assists you. (You can also check the status of a claim by going to Aetna
Student Health at www.aetnastudenthealth.com) Click Students, then Find Your School (#812835). Then log into Aetna Navigator to check claim status.
- If your claim was denied, did you have the required referral? Please note that referrals
cannot be backdated.
- For billing/reimbursement problems that persist after you have followed the above steps, please
contact Jackeline Paulino, Administrative Coordinator, at 212-342-3942, or
Under certain circumstances you may be entitled to reimbursement from the SHS (e.g., a required
immunization for a documented, school-sponsored trip was not available here.) Please bring the
bill to 60 Haven Avenue, Suite 3D between 8 am and 4 pm, Monday - Thursday; 10 am - 4 pm Friday, and one of the administrators will be able
to assist you.