Daniel Brodie, M.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Director, Medical Intensive Care Units and Medical Critical Care Service
Director, Medical ECMO Program
Co-Director, Center for Acute Respiratory Failure
Associate Chief, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, & Critical Care Medicine
Dr. Brodie's CV
Daniel Brodie is Director of the Medical ICUs and the Medical Critical Care Service at the Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons and the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. He is also the Co-Director of the Center for Acute Respiratory Failure and the Director of the Medical ECMO Program. Dr. Brodie is a leader and innovator in the field of adult ECMO and runs one of the largest ECMO programs in the world for adult respiratory failure. He is the co-primary investigator or investigator for multiple ongoing studies in ECMO including international, randomized controlled trials. His research interests include the use of ECMO and extracorporeal CO2 removal for various forms of adult respiratory failure and pulmonary hypertension
Education and Training
- B.A. in History, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1987-1991
- Medical School:
- Cornell University Medical College, NY NY, 1995-1999
- Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 1999-2000
- Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD, 2000-2002
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, New York, NY 2003-2006
Selected Honors and Awards
- 1991 Magna Cum Laude, University of Pennsylvania
- 1999 Alpha Omega Alpha, Cornell University Medical College
- 2002 The Daniel Baker, Jr. Memorial Award, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Osler Medical Service
- 2004 Medical House Staff Teaching Award for Fellows
- 2004-2005 Stony Wold-Herbert Fund Foundation Fellowship for Pulmonary Research
- 2005-2006 Stony Wold-Herbert Fund Foundation Fellowship for Pulmonary Research
- 2007 Medical House Staff Teaching Award for Faculty
- 2008 The Daniel V. Kimberg Memorial Junior Faculty Teaching Award
- 2009-2012 The Ewig Clinical Education Award, three-year award
- 2011 Excellence in Pharmacy Advocate Award
- 2012 Patient Centered Care Physician Champion Award, New York-Presbyterian Hospital
Other Experience and Professional Membership
American Thoracic Society
American College of Chest Physicians
Society of Critical Care Medicine
American Society for Artificial Internal Organs
Extracorporeal Life Support Organization
Steering Committee, Extracorporeal Life Support Organization
Chair, Protocols Committee of the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization Steering Committee
To initate a transfer request, physicians should call 1-800-NYP-STAT which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Pulmonary Disease Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- ECMO and Extracorporeal CO2 Removal
- Critical Care Medicine
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Internal Medicine Diplomate, 2002
- Pulmonary Disease Diplomate, 2005
- Critical Care Medicine Diplomate, 2006
- ECMO and extracorporeal CO2 removal for respiratory failure
- Long-term extracoporeal device support
- Acute Lung Injury
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Critical Care Outcomes
- *Abrams D, Brodie D, Combes A. What is new in Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for ARDS in Adults?” Intensive Care Med 2013; Online August 15th.
- *Abrams D, Brenner K, Burkart K, Agerstrand C, Thomashow B, Bacchetta M, Brodie D. Pilot Study of Extracorporeal Carbon Dioxide Removal to Facilitate Extubation and Ambulation in COPD Exacerbations. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2013;10(4):307-314.
- *Abrams D, Brodie D. Emerging Indications for Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation in Adults with Respiratory Failure. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2013;10(4):371-377.
- *Weinberg R, Bouchard N, Abrams D, Bacchetta M, Dzierba A, Burkart K, Brodie D. Venoarterial Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for Management of Massive Amlodipine Overdose. Perfusion 2013 Jul 17. PubMed PMID: 23863493.
- *Brenner K, Abrams D, Agerstrand C, Brodie D. Extracorporeal Carbon Dioxide Removal for Refractory Status Asthmatics: Experience in Distinct Exacerbation Phenotypes. Perfusion Jul 10. PubMed PMID: 23842616.
- Abrams D, Brodie D, Berman-Rosenzweig E, Burkart K, Agerstarnd C, Bacchetta M. Upper-body Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation as a Strategy in Decompensated Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Pulm Circ 2013;3(2):432-435.
- Abrams D, Brodie D, Javidfar J, Brenner K, Wong D, Zwischenberger J, Sonett J, Bacchetta M. Insertion of Bicaval Dual-Lumen Cannula via the Left Internal Jugular Vein for Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. ASAIO Journal 2012;58(6):636-637.
- Javidfar J, Brodie D, Iribarne A, Jurado J, Lavelle M, Brenner K, Arcasoy S, Sonett J, Bacchetta M. Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation as a Bridge to Lung Transplantation and Recovery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012;144:716-721.
- Javidfar J, Brodie D, Costa J, LaVelle M, Miller J, Newmark A, Takayama H, Sonett JR, Baccheta M. Subclavian artery cannulation for venoarterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. ASAIO Journal 2012;58:494-498.
- Javidfar J, Brodie D, Sonett JR, Bacchetta M. Venovenous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation using a single cannula in patients with pulmonary hypertension and atrial septal defects. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2012;143:982-984.
- *Brodie D, Bacchetta M. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for ARDS in adults–Reply New England Journal of Medicine 2012;366:575-576. [Letter]
- Combes A, Bacchetta M, Brodie D, Muller T, Pellegrino V. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for respiratory failure in adults. Curr Opin Crit Care 2012;18:99-104.
- *Brodie D, Bacchetta M. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for ARDS in adults. New England Journal of Medicine 2011;365(20);1905-14.
- Javidfar J, Brodie D, Takayama H, Mongero L, Zwischenberger J, Sonett J, Bacchetta M. Safe Transport of Critically Ill Adult Patients on Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Support to a Regional Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Center. ASAIO Journal 2011;57(5):421-425.
- Javidfar J, Brodie D, Wang D, Ibrahimye A, Yang J, Zwischenberger J, Sonett J, Bacchetta M. Use of Bicaval Dual Lumen Catheter for Adult Venovenous Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2011;91(6):1763-1768.
*Please see CV for complete list of publications