The Steve Miller Fellowship in Medical Education – October 2014 Competition
The Department of Pediatrics at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University invites applications from students in the College of Physicians and Surgeons for the Steve Miller Fellowship in Medical Education. This fellowship will support projects completed during elective rotations and/or summer months by students at any level in the College of Physicians and Surgeons.
The Miller Fellowship is intended to support research projects devoted to enhancing medical education or humanism in medicine from the medical student’s perspective. The Fellowship experience is intended to be completed under the supervision of a faculty mentor, and should focus broadly on the generation of scholarship in these domains. Scholarship can be broadly interpreted, and might include curriculum design, educational research, or intervention projects. Projects will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Originality of the proposed scholarship,
- Impact of the proposed work on the clinical experiences of medical students, with a particular focus on the development of humanism,
- Connection to other activities and/or research in the domain either at the students’ institution or at other sites,
- Institutional support for the project
Fellowship Awardees will be required to present the results of their work in a 15-minute presentation at the 5th Annual Steve Miller Education Day on October, 2014.
Applicants are required to submit the following materials:
- A 3-page (maximum) description of the project to be undertaken, with a maximum of 10 references. Ensure that the proposal describes the connections between activities, outcomes, and impact.
- A 250-word personal statement describing student’s interest in this area.
- Two letters of support from:
- Faculty mentor for the project
- Dean of Students or designee
- Budget and budget justification (maximum $3,000).
- Curriculum vitae of student and mentor.
Submit by email addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
DUE DATE FRIDAY, JANUARY 31, 2014
AWARDS ANNOUNCEMENT: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2014
THIS YEAR'S WINNERS:
Congratulations to the winners of the 2014 Steve Miller Fellowship in Medical Education!
Erin Elbel (P&S Class of 2017)
Proposal entitled, “Development & Piloting of an Educational Module for Medical Students in Hospital-Based Interdisciplinary Communication and Quality Improvement.”
Jessica Calihan (P&S Class of 2017)
Proposal entitled, “Developing a Humanistic Cross-School Training for Examining Asylum Seekers.”
Please join us for a presentation of their work at the Steve Miller Medical Education Day on Friday, October 17, 2014.