Email at CUMC
Faculty, staff and some students receive an email account when they begin working at CUMC or enrollment in Medical Center classes. The email address is in the format of firstname.lastname@example.org, where uni is your individual Columbia UNI (ex: abc1234).
If you are not sure of the difference between your Columbia UNI and CUMC email accounts and passwords, please see this FAQ. There is also general information about the move from CubMail (@columbia.edu) account space to CUMC Exchange.
- Messages may also be addressed to email@example.com, however the actual space for your email, attachments, calendar and contacts is on the CUMC mail servers, also referred to as CUMC IT Exchange.
- Faculty and staff who do not have an @cumc.columbia.edu email account yet will need to have their department or division must request one for them via the Exchange Account Request form.
- P&S and CDM students who are currently enrolled in Medical Center classes but have not received an Exchange email address (ending in @cumc.columbia.edu) should contact their school's Student Services department. For other CUMC students please see this page.
When you have been notified that your Exchange account has been created:
For more information on the use of both @columbia.edu and @cumc.columbia.edu addresses please see this FAQ.
- Be sure that your account is active by logging in to the Outlook Web App.
- Set up a profile on the myPassword website and make sure that you have changed your password from any default/initial one that was provided to you
NOTE: If you have already been using an MC (computer login) account with a password you selected, you should continue to use that password - it synchronizes with Exchange.
- Verify that mail forwarding from your @columbia.edu address has been set up via the Manage My UNI page.
Email Use Policies for CUMC do not allow automatic forwarding of your messages to an outside provider such as Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, or others. Individual messages can be forwarded as long as you remain in compliance with email, data protection and any other relevant policies.
The links in the left column of this page for help with any email related topics including setting up email on your computer and mobile devices, password help, FAQs, and policies for email use at CUMC.
About CUMC Exchange Accounts
An Exchange account involves two components: Outlook and the CUMC IT Exchange servers.
- Outlook is the "client" software that is used on individual computers for email, calendaring, contacts, tasks and more.
- Exchange is a type of server that allows accounts existing on it to easily share and manage calendars, resources, and contacts in a more secure environment. It also provides strong support and compatibility with mobile devices including iPhones, BlackBerrys, tablets etc.
Outlook for Windows and Macintosh are the CUMC IT standard supported email programs. Outlook is part of the Microsoft Office Suite that is available for free to current CUMC faculty, staff and students, and offers the best compatibility with Exchange accounts. Select the link for the version of Outlook you are using from the left column of this page for instructions on using it with your Exchange account.
Other Email Accounts
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital - If you need assistance with an email address that ends in @nyp.org, please click here and see links on the left of the page under the Need Help? heading, or contact extension 4-Help (212-746-4357).
- Alumni accounts - Columbia offers alumni a lifetime email address and email forwarding, see http://alumni.columbia.edu/email. Be sure to review qualifications on the page regarding account eligibility.
| TOP |