Echo 360 Lecture Recordings
Echo 360 is the lecture capture program used in most CTS managed rooms. Instructors can request lecture recordings that will be made available for online viewing via a link in CourseWorks.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Maintenance in Echo 360 requires "purges" or removal of old recordings. Purged recordings are no longer available to be viewed or accessible in Echo, and must be downloaded before any purge if needed. Currently we are working on the following:
If you need to keep a recording please use instructions below to download and save copies on your computer or other desired external storage. Also be sure to update or remove any links within CourseWorks to purged recordings. See this FAQ for general information about availability of recordings.
- Immediate - Special Event recordings captured prior to the current year are being removed
- June 30th, 2015 - Course recordings captured in 2012 will be removed
Requests and Recordings
Requests for recording a lecture or presentation must be submitted in advance via the online form:
Rooms listed below offer either Appliance Capture (the podium computer screen and video of the instruction area/front of the room) or Classroom Capture (podium computer screen only). Audio for both is recorded via an embedded microphone at the podium; to be sure your presentation audio is clearly recorded please stay near the podium when speaking.
Rooms that are not on the list do not have Echo recording capabilities, please the bottom of this page for information about using Personal Capture to publish via Echo.
- Recording requests must be made at least one week in advance.
- Last minute requests are allowed subject to availability, and must be requested at least one business day in advance. A rush fee of $119 will apply.
- Requested recordings will automatically be available for you in CourseWorks at the end of the day.
- Course lecture recordings are archived and removed 3 years after the semester during which they were recorded. Special event recordings are removed one year after the event. To extend beyond these times please contact us at least one month before the scheduled removal. See this FAQ for help on downloading a copy of a recording.
Room Recording Capabilities
|Appliance Capture - Full Video, Audio and Computer Screen Capture
||Classroom Capture - Audio and Computer Screen Capture only
|Alumni Auditorium||Hammer LL1-107|
|P&S Amphitheater 1||Hammer LL1-108A and B|
|P&S Amphitheater 5/7||Hammer LL1-109A and B|
|P&S 16-405 Duane Todd Amphitheater||Hammer LL1-110|
||Hammer LL2-202, 207 and 210|
|Hammer LL2-201||Hammer LL2-208A and B|
|Hammer LL2-203||Hammer LL2-209A and B|
|Hammer LL2-204||Hammer 303, 304, 305, 306 and 308|
|Hammer LL2-205||Hammer 310|
|Hammer 312||Hammer 322|
|Hammer 401||Hammer 324|
|Russ Berrie 1
||Hammer 404 and 408|
|Russ Berrie 2||Hammer 410 and 412|
Rates for Fiscal Year 2014
- 20 events per year: $2,575
Retained for one year on CUMC IT servers
- Single event (limit 4 hours): $129
- Editing recordings: $111 per hour
- Technician assistance during start up: $119
- Last minute rush fee: $119
Should I do anything on the recording day?
You need not do anything. Based on the capture option you choose, the system will record the event automatically from the time you booked for the event through the end. If you require technician assistance during start up, you can request it (additional fees will apply as noted in our rates). Recording is done automatically in four hour blocks. Last minute changes to the recording time are not possible. So, please plan ahead for coffee or lunch breaks and follow the schedule.
When can I see my recording?
Special event and lecture recordings are made available to you via a link to the file on our servers, usually within 24 business hours.
Can I request a recording of a single event?
Yes, you can request to record a single event. However, it will be highly cost-effective if you had a series of events requested. Please see rates to compare the cost of single events and series of events.
Can I edit the content of the recording?
Yes, you can. We provide assistance for editing the content for an hourly fee.
How long are recordings available?
Special events are available for approximately one year; course lecture recordings from 3 years prior are removed every summer (example: in Summer 2015 we are removing course recordings captured in 2012). To extend beyond this time, please contact us at least one month before the end of this time period.
What if I forgot to book a recording?
If you did not book your event one week in advance, for a last minute rush fee per event, we will try our best to get your special event or lecture recorded. We can only do this if your event does not conflict with an already reserved event from another department. Last minute requests must be made at least a business day in advance.
Can I download or save a copy of a recording?
Some recordings can be downloaded. Login to Echo 360 and select the Course Echo you would like to save; if it can be downloaded look for links to the right for Audio/Video Files. Simply click the link and follow your browser's prompts to save to the desired location on your computer.
Audio files are in mp3 format and can be played back in most media players; Video are m4v and can be viewed in most except Windows Media Player. Note that you only have access to your own Course Echoes.
If you are not able to find the recordings in Echo, or do not have an Echo login, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the course and course number or special event name, date(s), and title of the recording.
- If files are being removed from the Echo 360 system be sure you have removed any external links to the file from areas such as CourseWorks, for help and information on contacting CourseWorks support please see http://ccnmtl.columbia.edu/our_services/tools/courseworks.
- If you will be distributing or posting downloaded Course Echoes/files, be sure you are not violating copyright law.
Personal Capture for Echo 360
Computers that have webcam and microphone hardware installed can set up Personal Capture to record a presentation from the computer and have it published via the Echo 360 system. This must be done in conjunction with Classroom Technology Support, please email email@example.com to arrange for this.
Once you have confirmation that Personal Capture can be used for your presentation, please click here for instructions on configuring the connection to the CUMC Echo server.