What will happen at my evaluation?
At your visit to our memory center, you can expect to receive:
- A thorough review of your personal and family medical history, including a description of any symptoms and progression of memory complaints.
- A neurological examination, including a focused physical examination.
- Neuropsychological testing to thoroughly assess memory and thinking.
- Laboratory blood analysis (for possible nutritional and vitamin deficiencies, thyroid imbalances, or infections).
- Brain imaging tests may be ordered, including MRI or CT imaging, and in some cases SPECT or PET imaging.
- Other specialized tests such as electroencephalogram (EEG), or lumbar puncture (spinal fluid testing) may be needed.
Please bring to your appointment medical records including any recent blood test reports, brain CT and/or MRI reports, and a complete list of all medications being taken, for our review.
If possible please bring any actual brain imaging films or compact discs (CDs).
How long is the first visit?
This visit may take about 1 to 2 hours. Patients are encouraged to bring family members to their appointment to help describe any symptoms.
When will I know the results from my visit?
Your doctor will discuss some of the findings at your initial visit. Then, following completion of any required laboratory blood analysis, diagnostic brain imaging, and neuropsychological testing, you will be scheduled for a follow-up physician visit 4-8 weeks later to inform you and your family of the results.
We welcome international patients. Please call our staff 212-305-6939. You may also wish to contact NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Global Services (tel. +1 212-305-4900, email: email@example.com)
Our office staff speaks Spanish and English, and the physicians speak Spanish, French, Greek, and English.
Will my health insurance cover my visits?
Our center accepts Medicare and many major health insurances. Please call our staff to coordinate your visit.
Who can I call for an appointment?
For further information, or to make an appointment you may call 212-305-6939.
About Us || Our Doctors || Patient Information || Memory Evaluation || Neuropsychological Testing || Clinical Trials || Web Resources || Caregiver Support || Education and Training Opportunities || Research || Contact Us || Directions to the Neurological Institute || Sitemap
Copyright © 1997-2009 Center For Memory And Behavioral Disorders || The Neurological Institute of New York || At Columbia University Medical Center
710 W 168th Street, 3d Floor, New York, NY 10032 || Affiliated with New York-Presbyterian Hospital || Last updated:
February 6, 2014